LAST POSTS

7 Oct 2014

Can you use the word "indeed"? Indeed I can!


B2, C1

In yesterday’s class we discussed the possible uses and meanings of the word indeed, which can be a bit tricky to translate. Some of you suggested it was synonymous with “in fact”, although in some cases it can also mean something like “certainly”, “very” or it can even be used to express surprise - “you’re telling me!” (¡no me digas!).


To start with, the word indeed originates from the Latin phrase in dede, which meant “in truth”. This meaning can clearly be seen in all of the following four uses:
  • When it is used after very + an adjective/adverb, it has a clearly emphatic meaning: 
Thank you very much indeed.
I was very happy indeed to hear about your results!
  • It can be used to emphasize a positive statement or answer:
That is indeed the person I was talking about.
They are indeed braver than most people.
‘Was he very upset?’ ‘Indeed he was!’
‘Do you agree?’ ‘Yes, indeed.’
  • At the beginning of a sentence, it is used to complete or add information to a statement. In other words, indeed provides emphasis or indicates that the sentence is evidence/an example of what was said previously.
Yes, I passed the exam. Indeed, I got the highest mark in the whole class.

You don’t have to thank me. Indeed, I am delighted to help.

The economic crisis has a negative influence on how much we spend. Indeed, foreign investments have never been as low.
  • As an interjection, indeed indicates surprise or sarcastic doubt. In this use, indeed is often the only word in the sentence.
"He thinks she'll marry him??" "Indeed!" (¡Vaya si lo piensa!)

I hope you now have a clearer idea of how to use the word indeed! If you still have any questions or doubts, or simply want to say how useful you found this entry, feel free to post a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment